Wednesday, September 7, 2011

It's not all just fun and games?! O.o

I've gotten the request to talk about some of the struggles that I've faced thus far in my exchange. Some of you maybe surprised that there have been challenges already. But, before I go on-I would like to apologize for not being able to update my blog for awhile. I'll have another blog following this that will go into more detail about all of that.

      Struggles. They're real. Back at home, everyone warned us of the "Roller Coaster" that we'd be experencing. However, that "Roller Coaster" that they all talked about was on a monthly time frame. Throughout my exchange, everyday is like a roller coaster. The "Roller Coaster" feeling though, depends on the student and sistuations that they're put through.

     1)  HOMESICKNESS. We were all warned about this, as well. However, being in the state of mind that I used to be in, I never even took this into concideration of a possibility. Never would I've guess that I would be home-sick; let alone so much, so fast. How do you deal with it? -this too depends on how the exchange student is. Most find it better to be kept busy, and getting out of the house. One good thing comes from being homesick, though: you realize just how much people truly mean to you. You become so grateful of the people in your life back at home.
      2) LETTING GO. Home is always going to be apart of you. But being away, and getting homesick, you want to keep holding onto that part of you. I'll tell you right now; it's so much easier if you let it go. Home is still going to be there at the end of your exchange...it will just be a litte different, just like you will be different when you return. If you keep holding on, it takes a lot longer to adapt to the culture of your current country; it makes everything a lot harder in general.
      3) SMILING; AT ALL TIMES. Let's face it; smiling at all times is almost impossible unless you get too much Botox or something along those lines. What I've learned, is that some people get offended if you look at them and smile. In school, if you don't know a person, and you smile at them-be prepared to get a dirty look. It's hard to tell what people won't mind a smile.
      4) MAKING FRIENDS. <-that pretty much says it all, yes? Until you get a good grasp of the culture, and language, making friends is going to be one of the hardest things to accomplish. Give it time, be patient, and friends will eventually be made.
      5) TALKING. I've found it very hard to speak in as much German as I know. Feeling insecure is a feeling that consumes you. But you MUST break through that barrier. If you do that, you'll begin to learn the language faster. Keep in mind, that people LOVE knowing that you're putting effort into learning their language. Plus, when you're trying to talk in the language, and you mess something up-it's always a good laugh for them, and sometimes it's a good way to make friends.
      6) ACCEPTING CHANGE. Change is inevitable, but it can be a really scary thing. For me, I've been going through constant battles with change. I've been scared to just take in all of the change, afraid that it will change me to the point that when I go back home, I'll have no one that will want to still be my friend. Yet, I want the change so badly and I'm excited about it. Then I get scared again, because I don't know if the change will be an all around, good change. If you just accept the changes, things will be easier, and a lot less stressful.
      There are many more challenges that I've faced, and continue to face, but I think this is enough to talk about for now.
      People can warn you all they want, but there's a good change that you'll be just like how I was and not really pay attention to what they say. I ask you personally, to just keep their words of advise in mind. They really do know what they're talking about though, I know that for a fact now.

No comments:

Post a Comment